Career in Advertising (please help)?

Career in Advertising (please help)?

Postby Scorpio » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:42 am

I am a Hairstylist and Makeup Artist, looking to go back to school in the fall of 2011 so I can earn a more steady income. I have explored all of my options.

I love computers, graphic/web design, photography, event planning, anything that has to do with being creative, I hate the typical 9-5 desk job, I love to travel, I am very career driven, I'm a people person (a bit shy, but learned to deal with people through my current job) and I want a job where I know I won't be making only $30,000 5 years into my career (basically I want something where I can eventually build up to a decent salary).

I figured Advertising incorporates somehow all of those. My problem is, I live in a smaller size town (about 250,000), closest cities to me are Detroit, MI (across the border), and Toronto, Canada (4 hours away). I want to start off in my city though as trying to land a job in another city that pays decent enough to move there will be difficult. So that's a big factor. Finding a job in the field.

The program I am looking at is 3 yrs, so I would graduate at 25, almost 26 (major downside for me). What kind of careers would you suggest for someone like myself? That is probably my major problem, not knowing where to go in Advertising. What kind of careers can I realistically be looking at having?

Thanks.
Scorpio

Return to Advertising