What is the best way to find out what you want to do in life?

General chat and discussion on the finance topics

What is the best way to find out what you want to do in life?

Postby Vicky » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:27 am

I'm 18 and I'm going to college a little bit over a month. I declared my major business and was enrolled into 'pre-business', giving me several fields of concentrations. I don't know what to pick though, and to be honest, I don't know if I want to stay in the business field. However, it seems as if that's what I'd like to do at the moment.

It honestly doesn't comfort me if you tell me "You still have a lot of time to think about what you want to do in life", because, in all honesty, I don't. People have told me that in high school and I ended up being so clueless and not knowing anything -- just waiting for "my job" to pop up into my head. It really does no good to me and I want to get out there and explore what opportunities are open.

What is the best way to find out suitable careers for me? Jobs in which I'd be interested in doing -- regardless if it IS in the business field or not? Are there job fairs in colleges or anything of that sort? Will college be the biggest 'help' for me in finding what I want to do in life?

Thanks for your help in advance.
Vicky

Re: What is the best way to find out what you want to do in life?

Postby Joe » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:29 am

Stick with business.
Joe

Postby Yuffie_Ukendte » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:33 am

there exist no better way than another but you need to think through it before you are sure, and mayby use years of thinking before knowing.
but remember only you can desere, there exist people who knows what to be when they are 7 (me) and people who cannot find out before they are 30 (my uncle) and people who never finds out (my daddy)
Yuffie_Ukendte

Postby Stan_Darsh » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 am

Perhaps one idea is to travel by yourself to places you have never been. Stop thinking about it as much as you can and try to explore as many new things while on your trip. This will clear your mind from all the repetitiveness from your current daily life and will replace your current thinking with fresh thought. It worked in a way for me..
Stan_Darsh

Postby Jack » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am

They say that you should identify those things that you would do if you did not have to work and figure out a way to do just those things. Ideally you should find what your passionate about and try to earn money within those areas of expertise or a single one. I also made the mistake of going to college without having a clear goal in mind but eventually I realized that it does not matter. Remember, just because you study something in college does not mean that you will be stuck doing that for the rest of your life.

Find what you love to do and you'll never have to work another day in your life. (To paraphrase.)
Jack

Return to General Finance