How do I make money with my skill set?

How do I make money with my skill set?

Postby Someperson » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:41 am

I've been enrolled in college for 4+ years now off and on hating what I'm doing and still not in a degree program. I've finally been making the move to a college for game design and I feel like I'm doing it for the wrong reasons.

Here is the deal. I eat, sleep, breathe, even dream about gaming. All of the aspects: development, design, marketing, public relations, art, music, cinematography, etc. I'm 21 years old and am have dabbled in making games before but nothing serious as I was pursuing a degree in computer programming at a prestigious university (which was probably a bad idea) and didn't have the time or motivation.

I am now beginning to take the first steps towards developing some indie games as well as possibly getting my own company started afterward. However, this is all non-profit for the time being and I'm running out of money and running out of time before loans are going to be due. I don't want to stop developing games to work.

Everything I do is games (which is why I'm trying to get into game development). I thought about working for Game Stop temporarily but I need a white collar salary.

Kind of a catch-22, just looking for some new opinions outside of my normal circle of friends/family.

Latest idea was to enroll in a bull crap cheap institution just to get cheap college loan money but that seems like a bad idea as I've been doing that for a while now minus the cheap part.

Put this in the suggested area of small business... I think that small business owners/starters would know the best route for how or where I should work or pursue work? Really not sure.

Thanks.
Someperson

Return to Small Business