Having a business lease that is personally guaranteed, can they come after my home?

Post a reply

Having a business lease that is personally guaranteed, can they come after my home?

Postby Christine_C » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:40 am

Own a small retail business. Have a lease with 1 1/2 years left and a personal guarantee. I am an s corp. May have to declare corporate and personal bankruptcy. Is my home on the line?
Christine_C

Re: Having a business lease that is personally guaranteed, can they come after my home?

Postby Common_Sense » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:43 am

Not if the debt is covered in the bankruptcy.
Common_Sense

Re: Having a business lease that is personally guaranteed, can they come after my home?

Postby wizjp » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:47 am

By definition that's a "Personal Guarantee"
wizjp

Postby Landlord » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 am

No, not unless you put it up as collateral. The debt will go with the bankruptcy. In the odd chance you did put the house up, yes, it is gone.
Landlord

Postby patrick » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:55 am

If you file BK, your primary residence is excluded from the proceedings.
If you do not, and live in a Homestead Law state, then they can not come after your house.
Even if you dont, they can only get a lien on it, and you will not be forced to sell.
However, when you do, they will get the money you owe, plus interest.
patrick

Post a reply

Return to Corporations