how long until sallie mae takes my income tax refund?

how long until sallie mae takes my income tax refund?

Postby ness » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:44 am

here's my story...
i went to Career Point Institute in '07, i approved for a student loan and i used it to go to school of course. i finished and completed all my classes, but sadly i got nothing out of it. i got no job and career point did not help me out with that like they said they would have. so basically i went to school for nothing, and now i owe Sallie Mae for the student loan i got. i have not paid them back since then ( 2007 ), i have been filling and receiving my income tax refunds. its been 3 yrs now and i still have not had it taken away, but im scared that maybe im just getting lucky and soon on one of these years they will just take it away... does anyone know how long it takes for sallie mae to take away my income tax refund?? Has it happened to anyone before?? please help..
oh yeah and just to add, i am now married and have a child..can they take my husbands income tax refunds away from him just because he is married to me??
does anyone have any info to give me on my situation??
ness

Re: how long until sallie mae takes my income tax refund?

Postby the_kid » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:13 am

You ARE getting lucky, and they will start talking it eventually. If you file a joint return, yes they can take it all. if you file separately, they cannot take his (but you lose a lot of the tax benefits of marriage).
the_kid

Return to Taxes