Applied for mortgage & the bank sees that my Tax Return is joint and Im not legally married what can happen?

Applied for mortgage & the bank sees that my Tax Return is joint and Im not legally married what can happen?

Postby altechworks » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:29 am

I was told I could file joint since weve been living together for over 8 years. Now Im trying to buy a house and the bank wants to see my Returns which will show that i filed joint. The bank knows that
im not legally married. Will this cause me any problems?
with the bank or IRS or both? Will the bank just deny me mortgage or not realy care?
altechworks

Re: Applied for mortgage & the bank sees that my Tax Return is joint and Im not legally married what can happen?

Postby DON_W » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:46 am

It probably won't matter. If mortgage companies refused mortgages to all non-married couples, a large percentage of their customer base would evaporate.
DON_W

Re: Applied for mortgage & the bank sees that my Tax Return is joint and Im not legally married what can happen?

Postby WHAT » Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:54 am

Nothing will happen unless you are fraudulent. There are thousands of people who jointly go into a mortgage together.

But....it is never a good idea to get a mortgage with someone who is not married to you. Why? Ever hear of divorce? Well it is worse when you decide to have a new woman in your life, or come home and catch your paramour together with some one else. It is horrible sticky. Do not do it unless you are insane.
WHAT

Return to Taxes