What Job/Career can a 23 year old with no experience do?

General chat and discussion on the finance topics

What Job/Career can a 23 year old with no experience do?

Postby Wozza291 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:48 am

I am 23 years of age. Left university 3-and-a-half months ago with a 3:1 in Business Economics. Since I have left school I have always been in education. I have an NVQ2 in Engineering, a BTEC in ICT, and a 3:1 in Business Economics. I have never had an actual job so therefore do not have any work experience behind me. It isn't that I have been too lazy. I've never really had much of a social life and always got by, the last three years on student loans.

Now, not only do I need a job but I really, really want a job. I just want to be 'normal' and fit in to 'normal life'. The last 3.5 months I have spent most of my time in my bedroom not really having had much to do. As I have been for most of my life, I've been living in my mind. I need to get out of my mind and in to the 'real world' and just live a normal life.

Since leaving university I have been (as with most things in my life) putting off the job hunting process. I don't even have a CV. The main reason I have put this off is that I just do not know what I want to do or even what I can do? What on earth can a 23 year old with no work experience and a crappy 3:1 degree do? That is what they all want these days, work experience. I have dreaded writing the CV because there is going to be a big fat gap underneath experience. I just keep putting it off but can't put it off any longer as I am going out my my mind.

I just need a job but do not know what I can do. I would say or 'what I want to do' but feel like, in my position, I do not have a choice in the matter. The thing is, I just couldn't see myself working some crappy dead end job. I couldn't work in a factory or some kind. Nothing against anyone in that situation but I just don't see how I could do it. I just see it as a major step backwards. I feel like working in somewhere like McDonald's is fine when you are 16 but not at 23. I would really like a career to be totally honest. Something related to my degree also. I covered various topics in my degree which interest me such as accounting, finance, marketing, business, etc. Something like this would be great. Even - which I would expect to anyway - if I had to start of at the very bottom. I honestly do not know what to do.

What is the best someone in my position can do or hope for? Will anyone take on a 23 year old without experience?
Wozza291

Re: What Job/Career can a 23 year old with no experience do?

Postby Ted_P » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:56 pm

With the recession, you should exercise all your options. You should probably try and entry level position in the field you are interested in. Ask people you know in the field you want to work for for openings in their companies and use the internet too.
Ted_P

Return to General Finance