Can an employer refuse to hire because you don't qualify for thier health insurance plan?

Post a reply

Can an employer refuse to hire because you don't qualify for thier health insurance plan?

Postby John » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:00 am

Ok, so under current law (until changes take effect anyway) health insurance companies can deny an individual coverage due to a pre-existing condition. I know that companies who employ over a certain number of people (I don't know the exact number) are required to offer their employees health insurance. So therefore can a company refuse to hire an individual because they don't qualify for that employer's respective health insurance plan due to their physical condition?
John

Re: Can an employer refuse to hire because you don't qualify for thier health insurance plan?

Postby _21_R_J_N_21_ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 am

I dont think because of physical you but i think that you can talk to the employer and tell them that you dont fall under the category and you may not be accepted in the policy
_21_R_J_N_21_

Re: Can an employer refuse to hire because you don't qualify for thier health insurance plan?

Postby drive_55_not » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:23 am

A company can not refuse to hire you for being in poor physical condition,, but since they will never (at least if they are smart, since that would open them up to all kind's of litigation from every ACLU group out there.) tell you that's the reason, they'll give you another reason, if they tell you anything at all ...

drive_55_not

Postby Insurance_Pickle_c » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:31 am

Group insurance plans already cover pre-existing conditions. That's why group plans now cost more than individual plans. A group of 10 people (in my state) can all be pregnant and have cancer and they'd pay the same amount as a same aged group of 10 at the company next door with no pre-existing conditions. Currently most of my small companies opt to buy individual plans because it costs less to do so.

Anyway, since it doesn't matter a company wouldn't decline you for medical reasons due to their insurance...in most jurisdictions.
Insurance_Pickle_c

Postby Caveat_Emptor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:36 am

First, employers are NOT required to offer health insurance. Second, at the time of hire, the employer would have no way of even knowing if you "qualify" or not. Most group employer plans are REQUIRED to accept all employees - although they may exclude certain specific preexisting conditions.
Caveat_Emptor

Postby mbrcatz » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:47 am

An employer doesn't HAVE to give you a reason why they don't hire you.

The section of the law you're talking about, is only for INDIVIDUAL health insurance policies, not group health. Already, if you get hired on, the group insurance HAS to accept you.

And it's NOT true, that companies that employ a certain number of people are required to provide health insurance. Completely false. NO company is required to provide health insurance.

So, your whole question is based on faulty assumptions . .. moot point.
mbrcatz

Postby _ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:56 am

Private companies do not have to offer health insurance benefits by any law existing today. But the pre-existing condition exclusion does not apply to group health plans, only individual policies.
_

Post a reply

Return to Insurance