Is their any way play.com can weasel out of this one?

Is their any way play.com can weasel out of this one?

Postby Liam » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:32 am

Basically, play.com have a tv advertised in which they forgot to carry a 0 or whatever, and an £800 tv is advertised at £79.99.
Needless to say, i've bough one, and have about 8 pages of screenshots and proof of purchase in digital and hard copies.

Legally, do they HAVE to send me the tv for the price I paid and the price that was advertised?

No, i will not post link - don't even ask.

PS. it was 100% definitely bought from PLAY.COM (renowned and trusted company).
The link is now closed, after 1 hour of purchasing it. So it's unlikely it will arrive?
Liam

Re: Is their any way play.com can weasel out of this one?

Postby rtfm » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:34 am

No, they don't, at least not unless UK laws are dramatically different than US laws. Stores are allowed to correct mistakes in their advertising and not be held to them. Here, we have something known as the "reasonable man" test. No reasonable man would believe that the store intended the price to be only 80 when it should have been 800. Therefore, you can't claim that they are misleading you when they say the advertised price was a mistake and it really should have been 800.
rtfm

Postby Paul_D » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:59 am

Depends on the laws where they are located and where you live.
But generally courts have held that sellers must honor advertised offers. Things like "you'll love this new blender" and considered advertising fluff and are not a commitment by the seller.
But price is.

Good luck
Paul_D

Postby Scott_Halverson » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:20 am

Have you called they might be selling it for that price. The can show it to be an obvious exaggeration then they can get out of it.
Scott_Halverson

Postby Scott_Barley » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:26 am

My m8 called me about this deal who had heard it from a few off his m8's, any way the point i am trying to make is the number of ppl who know about this and that have ordered the tv it would bankrupt play.com if they were to honour it. i know 4 different ppl from 3 different universities who have all called me about this deal & told there m8's and ordered multiple sets with the idea of reselling them. Based on the exponential growth of word of mouth and the fact that this mistake had been around for the last 3 hours I would estimate well in excess of 5000-10000 would have been purchased already at a loss of £720 per set = £7.2 mill. I know play.com is a big company but really not a chance they can afford to lose that. ( I did by 10 sets me self though so fingers crossed )

PS. If you are lucky enough to get the tv Samsung offer a £50 cash back for that series of tv
Scott_Barley

Return to Advertising