How do I find property information on a house I'm considering renting?

How do I find property information on a house I'm considering renting?

Postby Alabamama » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:38 am

My family and I are getting ready to move across the country to Alabama and found a really great house to rent (we can't buy until we sell our home here). The area we are moving to has very little housing available to renters and we couldn't believe nobody had rented this gorgeous 4-5 bedroom, updated home in what looks like a very nice neighborhood. The realtor we've been in contact with told us that, when we get down there and look at it and if we decide we don't like it she will try to find us something better. I don't know if that necessarily suggests that there is something "wrong" with the property but the fact that it's the only house we could find that was for rent in the area, it LOOKS like a gem, but has been up for rent for at least 2 months and hasn't been rented makes me wonder if there might be something more to it that may be a deal-breaker. I can't seem to find anything in the county public records and really don't even know where to look. Does anyone have any suggestions of websites that will provide details about a property's history or any reports? My husband is moving down next week to see it and plans to go ahead and sign all the paperwork to rent it. If this place turns out to be garbage, I would like to know ahead of time so that we can line up another house. Thanks for any input you can give!
Alabamama

Return to Renting and Real Estate