If you don't tell insurance company about pre-existing condition...?

If you don't tell insurance company about pre-existing condition...?

Postby sapphire » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:59 am

I was just diagnosed with endometriosis... it's usually found through laparoscopic surgery, but my OBGYN actually found some during a pelvic exam. I'm applying for health insurance with a maternity rider. Do they check with your doctor for pre-existing conditions? I know I'll need a laparoscopy in the future (it won't be for a year at least though) and would love if insurance could help with the price. But would it be covered at all if I tell them about it now? If I don't, could it come back to haunt me later? I'll be moving soon and probably won't be going back to this OBGYN again. Thanks!
sapphire

Re: If you don't tell insurance company about pre-existing condition...?

Postby Darrel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:09 am

In the past I know that people have been dropped if knowledge of a pre-existing condition was discovered.

However, with all the new stuff going on now, I know there was something about preventing people from being denied due to pre-existing conditions.

You will need to really crawl into the paperwork for your new insurance if this is privately paid insurance.
Darrel

Postby Insurance_Pickle_c » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:10 am

It would likely come back to haunt you. Problem is they could rescind the policy from the beginning because you lied on the application. So, if you had a baby AND THEN the rescinded the policy you'd have to pay for ALL of the maternity costa and any other claims you might have incurred.

You need to have insurance before you have symptoms.
Insurance_Pickle_c

Postby mbrcatz » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:20 am

They'll ask on your application, if you have any preexisting conditions, and yes, that's a preexisting condition.

Maternity coverage on private policies is pretty rare, these days.

Yes, if you disclose it, they will probably exclude coverage for it on your policy. And if you don't disclose it, that's fraud, and can void your entire policy.
mbrcatz

Postby Flower » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:43 am

If you were under 18 you would be able to get insurance with a pre-existing condition under the new health care law.
Flower

Return to Insurance